Greater Giving does not contain taxability information within Greater Giving Online, but we do have a few tools that can be utilized to handle tax rates. These tools and formulas can be found in your Project Settings. Below, we cover the Tax Computation Methods and Assigning Tax Rates.
- From the Project Home, select Project Settings under the Project Tasks header.
- Click Edit.
- Change the Tax Computation for the method that best fits with your organization.
- Apply the sales tax rate to the purchase price.
Applies the given tax rate after the final package price is set.
- Compare Purchase Price and Package Value. Apply sales tax to lower of the two.
Looks at the final purchase price and compares it with the value of the package. The given sales rate is applied to whichever is lower.
- Apply a 0% tax rate to all sales.
Should only be used in special cases where you will be using Greater Giving Online to record the tax rates for packages, but will be using some other method of collecting the tax. If you don't need to collect sales tax at all in your jurisdiction, you should set the mode to "Apply the sales tax rate to the purchase price" and set the default tax rate to 0% (see more below).
Assigning Tax Rates:
There are two methods for assigning tax rates. Method One involves assigning a Default Tax Rate to all items. The Default Tax Rate can be assigned in the same place as your Tax Computation.
Method Two involves assigning the tax rate to each item individually. This is done by viewing your Items, clicking Edit, and adjusting the Tax Rate manually.
- From the Project Home, select View/Edit Items under the Items header.
- Click Edit next to the Item you wish to adjust the tax rate.
- Change the Tax Rate to the correct amount.
- Package Tax rates will automatically update based on the Tax Computation and Tax Rates you have selected.