Greater Giving Online has the tools necessary for importing your previous spreadsheets into the software. If you have spreadsheets of contributors to your organization that you would like in the Greater Giving Online software, we have developed a process of uploading that spreadsheet, mapping the fields to the Greater Giving Online fields, and importing all that data for your use within the software.
This tool can be incredibly useful, especially if you are new to Greater Giving Online (and therefore don’t already have a robust online database) or if you have spent time outside of using Greater Giving Online tracking Supporter contact data. Below, we cover some best practices as well as provide a few templates to assist with importing your Supporters.
- The file you are importing must be a .xls, .xlsx, or .csv format and have column headers that support mapping (spreadsheets without column headers will use the first row as a header line).
- Import business’ separately from your individuals and households. Use the "Is Business" column to denote it is a business (otherwise the software will assume it is an individual).
- When importing a household, we recommend placing them on one row, and separating the first names via an “&” or “and” (alternatively, separating both full names if different last names). Example: John & Jane Smith would create a household with two individuals, John Smith and Jane Smith.
Supporter Import Field List: This is a list of all Import Fields that Greater Giving Online has, useful for if you are creating your own excel file and want to match Greater Giving columns.
Import with Meals and Admissions: This template is built to import your individual Supporters with admissions tied to their name. Required fields are Admission Package Name, Admission Sale Quantity, Admissions Allocated, and Admission Purchaser Name.
- Tip: You can also use this template for importing Sponsors. Make sure the Sponsor record has the correct number of Admission Sale Quantity, and the Guests for the Sponsor have the correct number of Admissions Allocated.
- Tip: If using a different system to collect ticket purchases, you can use this template to import your Supporter records and assign them to tables. Use a bookkeeping admission, and make sure the the Supporter Name matches the Admission Purchaser Name.
Supporter Import Example: This template is recommended for a standard import of Supporters. Greater Giving generally recommends using a Supporter’s Full Name for the import.
Basic Process of Importing:
- From the Project Home, click View/Edit Supporters under the Supporters header.
- Click Import in the toolbar above the Supporter’s grid.
- Click Choose File to select your spreadsheet file from your computer.
- Greater Giving recommends starting with Default Mapping (especially if you used a template) and not marking any Roles.
- Click Next.
- Choose your field mapping. The left-hand side is the fields found on the Import file. The right-hand side is the fields available in Greater Giving Online.
- If you used default mapping, many fields should be marked with a green checkmark. These are fields the system detected and automatically mapped.
- Use the drop down menus on the right-hand side to choose which of your fields will be mapped to Greater Giving fields.
- Once all left-hand fields have been mapped (marked with a green checkmark) click Next in the bottom right of the screen.
- The system will ask if you want to Save your field mappings.
- This is useful if you do frequent imports and want to save the mappings for later use.
- Click Next.
- The system will then show you a summary of supporters to be imported. This summary will include Supporter Name, Supporter Type, and an Import Status.
- Double check the Supporter Type when importing your Supporters.
- The Import Status will let you know if a record will be successfully imported, merged, or if there is an error. This is a critical column to examine.
- At this point, you can fix any errors that are present, or make a check next to Skip Rows With Errors to import only Successful rows.
- Click Next to import.
- Finally, a Summary Report will appear that can be exported back into Excel. Click Finish to go back to View/Edit Supporters.
Rules for Recognizing Duplicates:
Greater Giving Online has a few simple rules that it runs through to determine if a Supporter is a match or not. Below, we outline these simple rules.
- Rule #1: Greater Giving Online will only match Supporters of the same type; Business to Business, Person to Person, etc.
- Rule #2: Greater Giving will match Alternate IDs. The Supporter Type rule above will still apply.
- Rule #3: If one or both Alternate IDs are empty, the system instead will match the records based off of the Supporter Full Name. The Supporter Type rule above will still apply.