Package Word Merge Template
Greater Giving Online has the ability for you to create custom documents in Microsoft Word, and upload them into the software as templates. These Word Merges are done exclusively for either Items or Packages. Common uses include Item/Package Certificates, Bid Sheets, Catalogs, and Table Placards.
There are three main steps in using a Word Merge. The first is Creation, then Uploading, then Merging. We will cover these steps in detail below. Likewise, rather than create a brand new Word Merge, we have uploaded a few templates into Greater Giving Online that you can edit as you see fit.
Creating a Word Merge document is done using Microsoft Word. The document will have Merge Fields that will populate data in the document when it is uploaded. To create a Word Merge, follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Word and create a new document (or use an existing one).
- Determine the purpose of the document (Package Certificates, Table Placards) and determine what Merge Fields you want to use. We have a list of all Package Merge Fields here.
- Insert the Fields in the appropriate places:
Microsoft Word 2003:
- From the top menu, click Insert then Field.
- In the new box that pops up, select Merge Field from the list.
- Under Field Properties, type the Field name EXACTLY as it appears in the list
- Failure to type it exactly will result in Greater Giving Online not recognizing the Field.
- Click OK to insert your Field.
Microsoft Word 2007/Word 2010:
- Click the Insert tab, and under the Text area click Quick Parts.
- Click Field, and choose Merge Field from the new pop up box.
- Under Field Properties, type the Field name EXACTLY as it appears in the list.
- Failure to type it exactly will result in Greater Giving not recognizing the Field.
- Click OK to insert your Field.
- Repeat step 3 for all of your necessary Merge Fields.
- Save your document.
Uploading your now finished document is the next step in using Word Merges within your Project. Uploading a document is quite easy, and done through your Organization Home. You can follow these steps below to upload your document.
- From the Organization Home, click Manage Word Merge Templates.
- There is a list of pre-loaded Word Documents in the grid, click Add to add your new document.
- Specify a Name for your new document.
- Type any applicable Notes, these are internal only.
- Use the radial button to determine the document is for Packages.
- Click Choose File to browse your files and select your newly created Word Merge document.
The actual Merge process is done through View/Edit Packages. After making a grid selection, click the Merge into Template button and then click Merge with Template for the template you wish to use. Below, we will have a step by step walkthrough of this process.
- From the Project Home, click View/Edit Packages under the Packages header.
- Select the Packages you wish to merge into a template by clicking the check box on the left.
- Alternatively, use the Advanced Search to filter the grid.
- Click Merge into Template.
- There is a grid list of both the pre-loaded templates, as well as any new templates you have uploaded. Select Merge with Template for the system to Merge your Packages with the selected template. It should automatically download as a new Word document.
- Click Done to return to the grid list of templates.