Online Bidding: Self-Registration
The self-registration process is similar to creating an online account on other sites, such as an email account. It will ask the Supporter to enter their address, phone number and credit card information before being allowed to bid. After the Supporter has completed their contact information and credit card information, we recommend assigning them a bidder number outside of your normal range of bidder numbers.
Follow the below steps if you would like Supporters to self-register before participating in bidding.
Review our Online Bidding Pre-Bidding Guide for additional best practice tips on bidding prior to your event.
Step 1: Configure your Self-Registration Invite settings:
The self-registration invite is an email that will include the Supporter’s personalized link. If you are allocating admissions within Greater Giving Online, the Self-Registration Invite settings determine if/when the attendees receive their invite.
To configure your Self-Registration Invite Settings, from the Project Home, click Online Bidding Settings under the Online Bidding header, and click Edit.
- Do not automatically send self-registration invite:If selected, the self-registration invite will only be emailed manually if the Send invitation to all un-invited attendees now button is selected.
- Automatically send self-registration invite immediately to attendees:If selected, the self-registration invite will be emailed shortly after the guest is marked as an attendee (i.e. allocated an admission) on an Admission or Sponsorship package that is enabled for the invite. See: Enabling Packages for Self-Registration Invite
- Automatically send self-registration invites starting on:If selected, the self-registration invite will be sent to all currently uninvited attendees starting on the specified date. Any Supporters allocated an admission after this date and time will be sent invitations shortly after the admission is allocated.
Self-Registration Invite Setting
Best used if:
Do not automatically send self-registration invite
you would like better control over when your guests receive the self-registration invite
Automatically send self-registration invite immediately to attendees
you would like guests to begin self-registering as soon as they are allocated an admission
Automatically send self-registration invites starting on
you have a specific date/time you would like guests to begin self-registering
Note: If you are not allocating admissions within Greater Giving, you can send Supporters their personalized link through the Letters & Emails function. See: Online Bidding: Using Letters & Emails
Step 2: Enable Packages for the Self-Registration Invite:
Enabling specific Admission and/or Sponsorship packages will allow you to control which attendees receive the invite.
To enable packages for the invite:
- From the Project Home, click View/Edit Packagesunder the Packages header.
- Click Edit for the package.
- Check the Enable self-registration invite box.
- Note only Admission or Sponsorship packages can trigger Self Registration.
- Click Save.
If you selected "Automatically send self-registration invite immediately to attendees" in step 1 then your Supporters will receive the self-registration invite as soon as you check this box and click save.
Step 3 (Optional): Choose your Access Settings:
The Access Settings determines if the general public will have access to self-register for bidding. You have the option of allowing anyone to register to bid or you can limit the bidding to only those attending the actual event.
To configure your Access Settings, from the Project Home, click Online Bidding Settings under the Online Bidding area, and click Edit.
- Enable Public Access for Auction– select this option if you would like to allow anyone to self-register to bid in the auction (remote bidders, social media followers, etc.). If this option is checked, use the Public Auction Link to share on your social media pages, your Organization’s website, email marketing campaigns, etc.
- Allow Bidding Without Pre-Approval – select this option if you would like to allow bidders to instantly begin bidding after self-registering. No additional step will need to be taken from your Organization in order for the guest to be able to bid.
If you choose not to allow bidding without pre-approval, see: Online Bidding: Importing Online Bidders for additional steps.
Step 4 (Optional): Assign a Special Range of Bidder Numbers:
Assigning a special range of Bidder Numbers to your self-registered guests can let you determine who self-registered at a glance, and is useful for knowing who self-registered at Check In when at your event See the steps below for more information.
- From the Project Home, click View/Edit Supporters under the Supporters header.
- Click on the Show Advanced Search in the top right hand corner.
- Check the box for Include Only Bidder’s Who.
- Check the box for Self-Registered Online Bidder.
- Click Hide Advanced Search option in the top right.
- Uncheck the box for Group Results by Household.
- Click the Search button.
- Click the Assign/Clear Bidder Number’s option in the toolbar.
- Follow the wizard, making sure to set your Starting Bid Number in a different range from what your normal bidder numbers will be.